Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What's in a name?

Deep down I knew I was having a girl from the minute I found out I was pregnant. I had always wanted a (mama's) boy first, but also couldn't wait to have a sweet little girl to hug and kiss.

When Matthew and I found out for sure we were having a girl, we immediately started pouring over the baby name books. After hours, upon hours, upon hours, upon hours of looking through the books we had narrowed it down to two first names: Isabella and Abigail. When I suggested Abigail, Matthew could take it or leave it. However, when he read what Abigail means, "a father's joy," that became our baby girl's name. It couldn't be a more perfect name.

When it came to her middle name, we had even more trouble. We knew we wanted it to mean something. He and I tossed around hundreds of names. Nothing seemed to fit with Abigail. I thought and thought and thought, when one day it hit me. When I suggested June, which is my grandmother's middle name, Matt wasn't too sure. My due date was July 7th, so he thought people would think we were crazy for naming our daughter for a month she wasn't born in (crazy, I know). When she ended up coming quite early, and was actually born in June, there was no question. Looking at her now, I can't think of a more perfect name for our Abigail June.

My grandmother is one of the most amazing women I've ever known. She's kind, compassionate, loving and one of the strongest woman in the world. When I was younger I loved to spend as much time with her and my grandfather as possible. I still love it. I am incredibly lucky to have her as a role model. If I do half as well in life as she has I'll consider my life a success.

As time goes on, I hope Abigail gets to spend more time with her, as she calls her, Nana June. She is so lucky to be named for such a wonderful woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment